1/13 THIS DAY IN HISTORY: EXTREME CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING'S FINAL LIVE EVENT AND MORE
By Mike Johnson
on 2012-01-13 08:00:19
On this day in history in ....
1936 - Ted Christy defeats Leroy McGuirk in Hollywood, California for the World Light Heavyweight Title.
1948 - Ray Eckert defeats Billy Hanson to win the San Francisco NWA Pacific Coast Heavyweight Title in San Francisco, California, ending Hanson's fourth reign.
1950 - Danny McShain wins his fourth NWA Texas Heavyweight Title, defeating Verne Gagne in Houston, Texas.
1951 - Danny McShain wins his sixth NWA Texas Heavyweight Title, defeating Danny Savich in Houston, Texas.
1959 - Chico Garcia and Chet Wallick defeat George and Sandy Scott for the Calgary NWA Canadian Tag Team Title in Edmonton, Alberta, ending the Scotts' third reign.
1962 - El Greco defeats Bruce Arthur to win the Australian Light Heavyweight Title in Melbourne, Australia.
1965 - Rodolfo Ruiz defeats Chanoc in Mexico City, Mexico for the Mexican National Lightweight Title, ending Chanoc's second reign. At the same event, Raul Reyes wins the Mexican National Light Heavyweight Title from Rey Mendoza.
1965 - Dick Dunn defeats The Mighty Yankee for the NWA Gulf Coast Heavyweight Title in Mobile, Alabama, ending Yankee's second reign and beginning Dunn's second.
1966 - Shag Thomas and Bearcat Wright defeat Stan Stasiak and Mighty Ursus to win the NWA Pacific Northwest Tag Team Title, beginning their second reign.
1967 - Butcher and Mad Dog Vachon defeat Enrique and Ramon Torres to win the Georgia NWA World Tag Team Title in Atlanta, Georgia.
1967 - Sonny Myers wins his 12th NWA Central States Heavyweight Title, ending the third reign of Mike DiBiase in St. Joseph, Missouri.
1970 - The Missouri Mauler defeats Danny Miller for the Florida NWA Southern Heavyweight Title in Tampa, Florida, beginning his sixth reign.
1970 - Buddy Colt and Homer O'Dell defeat Cyclone Soto and Roberto Soto to win the NWA Macon Tag Team Title.
1971 - Bob Kelly defeats Mike Boyette for the NWA Gulf Coast Heavyweight Title in Mobile, Alabama, beginning his third reign.
1973 - Bobo Brazil defeats The Sheik in Detroit, Michigan for the Detroit NWA United States Heavyweight Title, ending Sheik's third reign and beginning Brazil's sixth.
1978 - Chavo and Hector Guerrero defeat Black Gordman and Goliath to win the NWA Americas Tag Team Title, ending Gordman and Goliath's 16th reign.
1979 - The WWWF held an event at the Spectrum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: The results:
- Davey O'Hannon defeated Steve King.
- Baron Mikel Scicluna defeated Frank Williams.
- Johnny Rodz defeated Tony Russo.
- Special Delivery Jones defeated Gypsy Rodriguez.
- Chief Jay Strongbow defeated Pierre the Lumberjack.
- Tony Garea and Larry Zbyszko defeated Baron Mikel Scicluna and Victor Rivera.
- Peter Maivia defeated Ivan Putski by referee stoppage due to bleeding.
- Ivan Koloff defeated WWWF World Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund by countout.
1983 - Roger Kirby defeats Mark Romero for the NWA Central States Television Title in Kansas City, Kansas, ending Romero's second reign.
1985 - The WWF held an event at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario. The results:
- Rene Goulet defeated Nick DeCarlo.
- Nikolai Volkoff defeated Rick McGraw.
- The Junkyard Dog defeated Bobby Bass and Goldie Rogers in a handicap match.
- Bret Hart defeated The Spoiler.
- The U.S. Express (Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham) defeated Brutus Beefcake and Johnny V.
- Tony Atlas defeated Paul Orndorff by countout.
- AndrÃ© the Giant and Blackjack Mulligan defeated Ken Patera and Big John Studd in a Texas Tornado match.
1985 - The Interns (Don Bass and Roger Smith) defeat The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson) to win the vacant AWA Southern Tag Team Title in Memphis, Tennessee, beginning their second reign.
1986 - The Fantastics (Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers) defeat The Sheepherders (Jonathan Boyd and Bigfoot) for the vacant AWA Southern Tag Team Title in Memphis, Tennessee. The title was vacated on December 30, when Jerry Lawler, who held the title with Austin Idol, lost a Loser Leaves Town match to Bill Dundee.
1989 - In the third of six title changes between these two men over 13 months, Chris Benoit defeats Johnny Smith to win his third Stampede British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Title, ending Smith's third reign.
1990 - The WWF holds an event at the Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The results were:
- Earthquake defeated Paul Roma.
- Koko B. Ware pinned Al Perez.
- Bret Hart pinned Iron Mike Sharpe (subbing for Bad News Brown).
- Jimmy Snuka pinned The Honky Tonk Man.
- WWF Tag Team Champions The Colossal Connection (AndrÃ© the Giant and Haku) defeated Demolition (Ax and Smash) by countout.
- Randy Savage pinned Jim Duggan with his feet on the ropes.
- WWF Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior pinned Dino Bravo.
1990 - Chris Chavis, best known as Tatanka in the WWF/E, wrestles his debut match against Joe Thunderstorm for Larry Sharpe's World Wrestling Alliance in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Chavis was trained by Sharpe at his Monster Factory wrestling school in New Jersey.
1990 - Manny Fernandez defeats Invader I to win the WWC Puerto Rico Heavyweight Title in BayamÃ³n, Puerto Rico, ending Invader I's sixth reign.
1991 - Super Archie defeat Rodolfo Ruiz for the UWA World Featherweight Title in Mexico City, Mexico.
1993 - WCW holds its 22nd Clash of the Champions event at the MECCA Arena in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The show aired live on TBS, earning a 2.9 rating. It was the last Clash event for Jim Ross, as he would leave shortly after for the WWF. The results were:
- Cactus Jack pinned Johnny B. Badd.
- 2 Cold Scorpio pinned Scotty Flamingo.
- Chris Benoit pinned Brad Armstrong.
- Vinnie Vegas defeated Tony Atlas in an arm wrestling match.
- The Wrecking Crew (Fury and Rage) defeated Johnny Gunn and Tom Zenk, when Rage pinned Gunn.
- NWA and WCW World Tag Team Champions Shane Douglas and Ricky Steamboat defeats The Hollywood Blondes (Steve Austin and Brian Pillman) by disqualification, to retain the titles.
- Cactus Jack, WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Dustin Rhodes and Sting defeated Paul Orndorff, WCW World Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader and Barry Windham in a Thundercage match, when Cactus pinned Orndorff.
1996 - Tommy Rich defeats Jerry Lawler in Memphis, Tennessee to win his fourth USWA Heavyweight Title. At the same event, PG-13 (JC Ice and Wolfie D) won their tenth USWA Tag Team Title, defeating Doug Gilbert and Tommy Rich, ending their third reign.
1997 - WCW Monday Nitro's 3.4 rating beats WWF Monday Night RAW's 2.3 rating in this week of the Monday Night War.
WCW Monday Nitro was live from the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana. The results:
- Chavo Guerrero, Jr. defeated Mr. JL.
- Jim Duggan and Super Calo fought to a no contest, when Sting attacked Duggan before the match.
- Chris Jericho defeated Craig Pittman.
- Harlem Heat (Booker T and Stevie Ray) defeated High Voltage (Rage and Kaos).
- Diamond Dallas Page defeated Mark Starr.
- Dean Malenko defeated WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Eddie Guerrero in a non-title match.
- Konnan defeated Super Calo.
- Jeff Jarrett defeated Chris Benoit.
- Scotty Riggs defeated Billy Kidman.
- Lex Luger defeated Rick Fuller.
- Rick Steiner defeated Arn Anderson by countout.
- The Giant defeated WCW World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan by disqualification.
WWF Monday Night RAW was taped two weeks earlier on December 30 at Pepsi Arena in Albany, New York. The results, which featured no clean finishes, were:
- WWF Intercontinental Champion Hunter Hearst Helmsley and Jerry Lawler defeated Goldust and Marc Mero (with Sable) by disqualification, when Goldust wouldn't stop choking Helmsley in the ring ropes.
- Rocky Maivia defeated WWF Tag Team Champion The British Bulldog (with Clarence Mason) by countout, when Steve Austin interfered gave the Bulldog the Stone Cold Stunner on the floor.
- The Undertake defeated Crush (with The Nation of Domination) by disqualification, after the Nation and Vader interfered after Undertaker had chokeslammed Crush. Ahmed Johnson attempted tp made the save, 2x4 in hand, before being hit in the back with it by Faarooq in the end.
1998 - Doug Gilbert last eliminates Keisuke Yamada in a 15-man deathmatch battle royal, to win the vacant IWA Japan World Heavyweight Title in Tokyo, Japan. The title had been vacant since October 26, 1996 when then-champion Tarzan Goto left the promotion.
2000 - Hiroyo Muto defeats KAZUKI and Ran Maru in a three-way match for the vacant JDStar Junior Title in Tokyo, Japan.
2001 - ECW holds an event at the Pine Bluff Convention Center in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, which would be its last before the company declared bankruptcy on April 4. The results were:
- Nova pinned The Prodigy (with Stan Lee) after reversing a front suplex into the Nova Blast.
- Joey Matthews and Christian York defeats Hot Commodity (Julio Dinero and EZ Money), when Matthews pinned Dinero after the Future Shock from him and York.
- Super Crazy pinned Yoshihiro Tajiri after reversing a hurricanrana into a cradle.
- ECW World Tag Team Champions Danny Doring and Tommy Dreamer (subbing for Roadkill) defeated The Full-Blooded Italians (Little Guido and Tony Mamaluke), when Doring pinned Mamaluke after he and Dreamer hit the Buggy Bang, to retain the title.
- Jack Victory pinned C.W. Anderson (with Lou E. Dangerously) in a Street Fight, after Spike Dudley interfered and hit Anderson with the Dudley Dog, then pulled Victory on top, and sat on top of Victory, for the cover.
- Michael Shane pinned Stan Lee after faceplanting Lee from the top rope.
- ECW World Heavyweight and Television Champion Rhino pinned Spike Dudley, after a piledriver on a chair, to retain the Heavyweight title.
- Justin Credible (with Francine) came out to face The Sandman. Credible challenged Sandman to a wrestling match instead of a hardcore match, prior. Sandman accepted, on the terms that Justin "owed him one". Credible pinned Sandman, after while Sandman had Credible up for a suplex from the apron, Francine grabbed Sandman's leg, causing him to fall with Credible on top for the pin.
- Since Justin owed Sandman a match, he then left to get a container of weapons for "his kind of match". The Sandman pinned Justin Credible in a hardcore match, after a piledriver onto the metal backing of an air conditioner. The fans littered the ring with bottles and cups targeting Credible after his loss, with Atlas Security going into the crowd to stop it. Justin and Sandman hugged in the ring after the match.
- The entire locker room then came to the ring. Tommy Dreamer got on the mic and thanked the fans for their support, with The Sandman adding "This Bud's for you", to close the show with the wrestlers sharing beer in the ring.
2001 - Steve Bradley defeats Spellbinder for the Power Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Title in Corinth, Mississippi, beginning his fourth reign. He also unified his Music City Wrestling Southern Heavyweight Title, which he wont from K-Krush (Ron Killings) on November 3 in Manila, Arkansas. At the same event, The Dupps (Bo and Jack Dupp) win their second MCW Southern Tag Team Title from American Dragon and Spanky.
2001 - Gregory Martin defeats Qenaan Creed to win the Maryland Championship Wrestling Cruiserweight Title in Laurel, Delaware.
2001 - Three Independent Pro Wrestling titles change hands in St. Petersburg, Florida. Scoot Andrews ends Jet Jaguar's fourth IPW Cruiserweight Title reign, Mike Shane defeats The Dog in a tournament final to become the first IPW Television Champion, and The Southern Posse defeat Drunk and Disorderly, The Chaotic Cult and The Snack Pack in a four-way hardcore battle royal for the vacant IPW Tag Team Title.
2002 - Moondog Manson wins his fifth ECCW Hardcore Title, defeating Wrathchild in Cloverdale, British Columbia.
2002 - MARU defeats Emi Tojyo in a tournament final for the vacant JDStar Junior Title in Tokyo, Japan.
2003 - WWE RAW marks its tenth anniversary with an edition live from the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. They also taped the coming weekend's Sunday Night Heat, which was only shown internationally due to the Royal Rumble being on that coming Sunday. The event's results:
- Sean O'Haire defeated Brian Henderson in a dark match.
In Sunday Night Heat matches:
- Rico pinned Tommy Dreamer with his feet on the ropes.
- Jamal (with Rosey) pinned Johnny Stamboli after a top-rope splash.
- Spike Dudley defeated Christian by disqualification, due to his refusal to release a choke.
In RAW matches:
- WWE Women's Champion Victoria (with Steven Richards) defeated Trish Stratus and Jacqueline in a triple threat hardcore match, pinning Trish after Steven Richards hit her with a garbage can lid.
- Test (with Stacy Keibler) and Maven defeated D'Lo Brown and Christopher Nowinski, when Test pinned Brown after a big boot.
- WWE World Tag Team Champion William Regal defeated Jerry Lawler by disqualification when Lawler hit Regal with a steel chain.
- Jeff Hardy pinned Raven after a Swanton Bomb in a Royal Rumble qualifying match.
- Booker T (with Goldust) and WWE World Tag Team Champion Lance Storm (with William Regal) fought to a no contest when Regal and The Dudley Boyz interfered.
- The Hurricane (with Trish Stratus) pinned Steven Richards (with Victoria) after a Shining Wizard.
- Chris Jericho defeated Batista, Kane and Rob Van Dam in a battle royal, last eliminating Van Dam. Jericho earned the right to choose his Royal Rumble entry position by winning the match. He chose #2, since Shawn Michaels was #1.
2003 - Teurko Kagawa defeats Apple Miyuki in a tournament final for the vacant JDStar Junior Title in Tokyo, Japan.
2005 - El Veneno defeats Matrix to win the IWRG Intercontinental Middleweight Title in Naucalpan, Mexico.
2007 - Papadon defeats Bobby Roode for the NWA Shockwave Internet Title in Boonton, New Jersey.
2007 - Pro Wrestling Guerrilla held "Based on a True Story" at the American Legion in Reseda, California. The results were:
- Frankie Kazarian defeated Scorpio Sky in a Loser Leaves PWG match.
- Rocky Romero defeated Colt Cabana.
- Disco Machine, Nemesis and TJ Perkins defeated Karl Anderson, Bino Gambino and Scott Lost.
- In a PWG World Title #1 Contender's match, Kevin Steen defeated Chris Bosh.
- Ronin defeated Super Dragon.
- PWG World Tag Team Champions Cape Fear (El Generico and Quicksilver) defeated Los Luchas (Phoenix Star and Zokre) to retain the title.
- Human Tornado defeated PWG World Champion Joey Ryan in a Guerrilla Warfare match to win the title.
2007 - 3 Count Wrestling held "...Will Not Die!" at the Doncaster Dome in Doncaster, England. It was to be a farewell show for 1 Pro Wrestling, which had announced its closing on January 5. 1PW would reopen in April. The results of the show:
- Stevie Lynn defeated Ollie Burns, Darkside, Joey Hayes, Harry Mills and Mark Sloan in a six-way elimination scramble match.
- Cheerleader Melissa defeated Skye.
- Davey Richards defeated El Ligero.
- In a three-way elimination match, The Damned Nation (Dragon Aisu & Majik) defeated 1PW World Tag Team Champions Team SHAG-IT (Darren Burridge & Mad Man Manson) and Jody Fleisch & Jonny Storm to win the title.
- Team Supreme (Dave Moralez and Jack Storm) defeated Team Dormanstown (Kid Richie and Chris Whitton) in a first-round match in a tournament for the vacant Real Quality Wrestling Tag Team Title.
- Sterling James Keenan and Spud defeated Team Supreme (Dave Moralez and Jack Storm).
- 1PW Openweight Champion Pac defeated Kid Kash to retain the title.
- Ulf Herman defeated Iceman in a Survival of the Sickest match to win the vacant 1PW World Heavyweight Title. The title, held by Abyss, was vacated when 1PW announced it was closing, ending Abyss' second reign.
2007 - Scotty Murray and Chase Richards defeat Rob Ramer and Matt Valor for the NWA Indiana Heritage Tag Team Title in Lafayette, Indiana.
2007 - Frank Parker wins the NWA Mountain State Heavyweight Title from War Machine in Mount Hope, West Virginia.
2007 - Two Keystone Championship Wrestling titles switch in Altoona, Pennsylvania. Brock Singleton defeats Julio Dinero for the KCW Heavyweight Title, beginning his third reign and ending Dinero's second. Also, Lou defeats Balkizar to win the KCW Central Pennsylvania Title.
2007 - Slim Pickens defeats Gaylon Ray for the New Blood Wrestling High Risk Title in Dyersburg, Tennessee, ending Ray's second reign.