On this day in history in ....
1892 - Tommy Treichel is born in Savanna, Illinois.
1922 - Eugene Tremblay defeats Ernie Arthur for the Canadian Middleweight Title in Toronto, Ontario.
1933 - Ed Don George wins his second Boston AWA World Heavyweight Title in Boston, Massachusetts, defeating Henri Deglane.
1939 - Espectro is born in Mexico City, Mexico.
1947 - Alexis Smirnoff is born in St.-Lim, Quebec.
1952 - Ruffy Silverstein defeats Buddy Rogers in a tournament final in Columbus, Ohio to become the first WLW Television Champion. This was a title recognized on a television program on WLWT, Cincinnati, Ohio's NBC affiliate station.
1959 - Lou Thesz defeats Danny Plechas to win the Rocky Mountain Heavyweight Title in Albuquerque, New Mexico, to end Plechas' second reign.
1959 - Ram√≥n Torres wins his fourth San Francisco NWA Pacific Coast Heavyweight Title from The Red Hangman (Tom Rice) in Sacramento, California.
1960 - In Winnipeg, Manitoba, Curly Gagnon defeats Al Torres to become the first Madison Wrestling Club Middleweight Champion.
1961 - Lou and Red Bastien defeat Chris and John Tolos in Fort Wayne, Indiana for the American Wrestling Alliance World Tag Team Title.
1962 - Ray Gordon defeats Buddy Austin for the NWA Central States Heavyweight Title in St. Joseph, Missouri, ending Austin's second reign.
1964 - Moose Evans and Verne Gagne defeat Dick the Bruiser and The Crusher in Minneapolis, Minnesota to win the AWA World Tag Team Title.
1966 - Thunderbolt Patterson and Alberto Torres defeat El Mongol and Gorilla Monsoon for the WWA World Tag Team Title in Los Angeles, California.
1966 - Alex Perez and Tojo Yamamoto defeat Mario Milano and Len Rossi in Nashville, Tennessee to win the Mid-America NWA Southern Tag Team Title for the sixth time. This was a rematch from February 1.
1969 - Kaoru Maeda is born in Nagasaki, Japan.
1970 - Bob Brown and John Quinn defeat Dean Higuchi and Steve Bolus in Vancouver, British Columbia to win the Vancouver NWA Canadian Tag Team Title. At that same event, Mark Lewin defeats Lonnie Mayne for the Vancouver NWA Pacific Coast Heavyweight Title.
1971 - Ren√© Goulet defeats The Great Mephisto to win the Florida NWA Southern Heavyweight Title in Tampa, Florida. This began and ended each's second reigns. At the same event, Jos√© Lothario and Dory Funk, Sr. defeat The Masked Medics to become the final Florida NWA Southern Tag Team Champions.
1973 - Danny Babich and Michel Martel defeat Lennie Hurst and Dan Kroffat in Calgary, Alberta for their third Stampede International Tag Team Title.
1973 - Raul Mata and David Morgan end Black Gordman and Goliath's fifth NWA Americas Tag Team Title reign in Los Angeles, California.
1976 - Gene Kiniski and Siegfried Steinke defeat Dean Higuchi and George Wells in Vancouver, British Columbia to win the Vancouver NWA Canadian Tag Team Title.
1977 - Pepper Gomez and Pat Patterson defeat The Valiant Brothers (Jimmy and Johnny) for the San Francisco NWA World Tag Team Title in Sacramento, California.
1979 - Elijah defeats Brian Christopher for the USWA Heavyweight Title in Memphis, Tennessee. This ended Christopher's 24th reign.
1980 - Shelly Martinez is born in Chino, California.
1980 - Two northeastern WWF meccas hosted events.
At the Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts:
- Jim Duggan defeated Fred Marzino.
- Jos√© Estrada defeated Joe Crugnale.
- Steve King defeated Pete Doherty durch DQ.
- Rene Goulet defeated Johnny Rodz.
- Ivan Putski defeated Swede Hanson.
- WWF Intercontinental Champion Pat Patterson defeated Lou Albano by countout.
- Larry Zbyszko defeated Hussein Arab (The Iron Sheik) by countout.
- Bruno Sammartino defeated Ken Patera.
At the Spectrum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
- Baron Mikel Scicluna defeated Joe Mascara.
- Bulldog Brower defeated Angelo Gomez.
- Davey O'Hannon defeated Mike Masters.
- Hulk Hogan defeated Dominic DeNucci.
- Cowboy Lang and The Lone Eagle defeated Bruiser Morgan and Little Tokyo.
- The Wild Samoans (Afa and Sika) defeated Gorilla Monsoon and Tito Santana by countout.
- WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund defeated Bobby Duncum to retain the title.
1981 - Maravilla defeats Danny Condrey (Wayne Ferris) in San Juan, Puerto Rico for the WWC Caribbean Heavyweight Title.
1981 - Jay Youngblood wins the Vancouver NWA Pacific Coast Heavyweight Title from Buddy Rose in Vancouver, British Columbia.
1983 - The Midnight Rider defeats Ric Flair in Miami, Florida to win the NWA World Heavyweight Title, or so it seemed. NWA President Bob Geigel demanded for The Midnight Rider to identify himself soon after, as NWA rules prohibited masked wrestlers. The title was returned to Flair after The Rider refused to unmask. The Rider was revealed to be Dusty Rhodes.
1984 - Buzz Tyler wins his third NWA Central States Heavyweight Title by defeating Tully Blanchard in Kansas City, Kansas.
1985 - The WWF held an afternoon event at the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland. The results were:
- Blackjack Mulligan and Jimmy Snuka defeated Brutus Beefcake and Johnny V.
- Mr. Fuji and Don Muraco defeated S.D. Jones and George Wells.
- Hillbilly Jim and WWF Champion Hulk Hogan defeated The Moondogs (Rex and Spot).
- The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff defeated WWF Tag Team Champions The U.S. Express (Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham).
- Bob Orton, Jr. and Roddy Piper defeated Jack and Jerry Brisco.
- Hillbilly Jim and WWF Champion Hulk Hogan won a $50,000 10-team battle royal. The match featured all the teams that wrestled in the previous matches.
1986 - The WWF held an event at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario. The results were:
- Tony Parisi defeated Ren√© Goulet.
- George Wells defeated Steve Lombardi.
- Adrian Adonis defeated S.D. Jones.
- George Steele defeated Barry O.
- Corporal Kirchner defeated The Iron Sheik.
- Paul Orndorff defeated Bob Orton, Jr. in a cast match.
- WWF Intercontinental Champion Tito Santana defeated Jesse Ventura to retain the title.
- The British Bulldogs (The Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith) defeated WWF Tag Team Champions The Dream Team (Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine) by disqualification. The Dream Team retained the title.
1986 - Blackman defeats Blue Panther for the UWA World Welterweight Title in Mexico City, Mexico.
1990 - TNT (Savio Vega) defeats Leo Burke in Caguas, Puerto Rico to win the WWC Universal Heavyweight Title. As a result, the WWC Television Title was vacated. TNT had held that title since defeating Carlos Col√≥n on June 17, 1989 in San Juan.
1991 - Mr. Pogo ends Hurac√°n Castillo, Jr.'s fifth WWC World Junior Heavyweight Title reign in Caguas, Puerto Rico.
1992 - The WWF held an event at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario. The results:
- Rick Martel defeated Jim Powers.
- Jim Duggan and Sgt. Slaughter defeated The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs and Jerry Sags).
- Kato pinned the Brooklyn Brawler.
- The New Foundation (Owen Hart and Jim Neidhart) defeated The Beverly Brothers (Beau and Blake).
- Bret Hart defeated The Berzerker.
- Tatanka defeated Skinner.
- Sid Justice defeated The Undertaker by disqualification.
- Randy Savage defeated Jake Roberts in a Steel Cage match.
1992 - The Killer defeats Enrique Vera for the UWA World Junior Heavyweight Title in Naucalpan, Mexico. This began The Killer's third reign and ended Vera's second.
1993 - Ray Odyssey defeats The Tazmaniac (Tazz) in Wakefield, Massachusetts to win the Century Wrestling Alliance Light Heavyweight Title.
1994 - Tito Santana defeats Greg Valentine for the vacant IWCCW Heavyweight Title in Yardville, New Jersey.
1996 - Calavera Cortez defeats Steve Nixon and Rico Rodriguez in a three-way match in Westland, Michigan to become the first Great Lakes Wrestling Light Heavyweight Champion.
1998 - WCW bested the WWF 4.6 to 3.2 in the ratings in this week of the Monday Night War.
Roberts Stadium in Evansville, Indiana hosted "WWF RAW is WAR" number 246, which was taped February 3. The results:
- NWA North American Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett and Barry Windham defeated The Legion of Doom (Animal and Hawk) by disqualification.
- The Godwinns (Henry and Phineas) defeated The Quebecers (Jacques and Pierre) by disqualification.
- Brian Christopher and El Pantera defeated √Āguila and Taka Michinoku.
- Faarooq and The Rock (with D'Lo Brown, Mark Henry and Kama Mustafa) defeated Ken Shamrock and Chainz (with 8-Ball, Skull and Ahmed Johnson).
- Steve Blackman defeated Recon (with Sniper).
- The Headbangers (Mosh and Thrasher) defeated Marc Mero and The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust (with Luna and Sable).
"WCW Monday Nitro", its 126th episode, was live from the Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas. The results were:
- Steve McMichael defeated Glacier.
- Konnan (with Vincent) defeated Norman Smiley.
- Disco Inferno defeated Yuji Nagata (with Sonny Onoo).
- Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero defeated Chavo Guerrero, Jr. and Dean Malenko.
- Juventud Guerrera defeated El Dandy.
- Bill Goldberg defeated Steven Regal.
- Chris Adams defeated Louie Spicolli by disqualification.
- Saturn defeated Ultimo Dragon.
- WCW World Television Champion Booker T fought Raven (with Lodi and Saturn) to a no-contest to retain the title.
- Randy Savage defeated Hollywood Hulk Hogan by disqualification.
- The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott) defeated WCW World Tag Team Champions The Outsiders (Scott Hall and Kevin Nash) to win the title. This ended the Outsiders' fourth reign and began the Steiners' sixth.
1999 - Jason Lee defeats The American Eagle and Chris Alexander in a three-way match to become the first OVW Light Heavyweight Champion.
2000 - Mikami defeats Mr. √Āguila in a possible fictitious match in Mexico for the IWA World Junior Heavyweight Title.
2000 - Delilah Starr defeats 2 Tuff Tony in a Thumbtack Death match in Charlestown, Indiana to win the IWA Mid-South Hardcore Title.
2001 - Juggernaut wins the NWA/ECCW Hardcore Title in Hope, British Columbia, ending Moondog Manson's fourth reign.
2002 - Orlando Jordan defeats The Bruiser for the Maryland Championship Wrestling Heavyweight Title in Lexington, Kentucky, ending Bruiser's fourth reign.
2002 - Ray Gonzalez ends Invader I's 12th reign as WWC Puerto Rico Heavyweight Champion in Caguas, Puerto Rico.
2002 - The Frontier Wrestling Alliance held "Revival: King of England Tournament" at the Crystal Palace Sports Arena in London, England. The results were:
King of England Tournament:
- FWA British Tag Team Champion Drew McDonald defeated Robbie Brookside.
- Eddie Guerrero defeated Scott Parker.
- FWA British Heavyweight Champion Doug Williams defeated Flash Barker.
- Jody Fleisch defeated Jonny Storm.
- Jody Fleisch defeated FWA British Tag Team Champion Drew McDonald.
- FWA British Heavyweight Champion Doug Williams defeated Eddie Guerrero.
- Jody Fleisch defeated FWA British Heavyweight Champion Doug Williams to win the King of England Tournament.
- Lexie Fyfe defeated Nikita (Katie Lea Burchill).
- FWA British Tag Team Champion Ulf Hermann defeated Grandmaster Sexay.
- Alex Shane defeated Scott Parker in a Falls Count Anywhere match.
2002 - Two Future of Wrestling titles change hands at "Valentines & Violence" in Davie, Florida. J-Dawg defeats champion Johnny Vandal, Ricky Vandal and Tommy Vandel in a four-way Ladder match for the FOW Light Heavyweight Title, and Barry Horowitz wins the FOW Hardcore Title from Maximum Capacity.
2003 - World Wrestling All-Stars' fourth pay-per-view offering, "The Retribution", airs in the United States. The show was taped on December 6 at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre in Glasgow, Scotland. The results were:
- Shark Boy pinned Frankie Kazarian after a Dead Sea Drop.
- Konnan pinned Nate Webb after Perry Saturn had given Webb a Death Valley driver and the Rings of Saturn.
- Buff Bagwell and Johnny Swinger defeated Norman Smiley and Malice, when Swinger pinned Smiley after Bagwell Smiley a Blockbuster.
- Teo defeated Puppet the Psycho Dwarf after a Swanton Bomb. Midajah was the guest referee.
- Mike Sanders pinned Joe E. Legend after a superkick.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett pinned Nathan Jones after hitting him with a guitar to retain the title.
- Sabu defeated Simon Diamond and Perry Saturn (with Midajah) in a three-way match, by pinning Diamond after a triple jump moonsault.
- Lex Luger pinned Sting to win the vacant WWA World Heavyweight Title, after Jeff Jarrett hit Sting with a guitar as Sting was going for the Stinger Splash on Luger. The title had been vacated in November after then-champion Scott Steiner signed with WWE.
2003 - Vampiro defeats Tarzan Boy for the NWA World Light Heavyweight Title in Guadalajara, Mexico.
2003 - Three changes take place between two titles at the Premier Wrestling Federation's "Wrestlebowl" in Pottstown, Pennsylvania. C.W. Anderson wins a battle royal to win the vacant PWF Television Title. Later, Steve Corino defeats Mikey Whipwreck for the vacant PWF Universal Heavyweight Title, before losing the title to Justin Credible.
2003 - Ultimo Dragon and YOSSINO defeat Yoshihito Sasaki and Tatsuhito Takaiwa in Tokyo, Japan to win Pro Wrestling NOAH's Differ Cup Scramble Tag Team Tournament.
2003 - Truth Martini wins a seven-man Gauntlet match in Warren, Michigan to become the first Xtreme Intense Championship Wrestling Champion.
2003 - Jason Bane defeats Sheik Abdul Hassan in Cleveland, Ohio for the Cleveland All Pro Wrestling Television Title.
2005 - Chris Renfrew defeats Wolfgang at "Chaos On The Clyde III" in Clydebank, Scotland to win the Scottish Wrestling Alliance Lord of the Ring Title.
2005 - Kurupt defeats Psycho Steve for the NWA United Kingdom Junior Heavyweight Title.
2007 - B.G. James defeats McNasty in Irondale, Alabama to become the first two-time NWA Wrestle Birmingham Heavyweight Champion.
2007 - Drake Younger defeats 2 Tuff Tony, DieHard, Mickie Knuckles, Mad Man Pondo and Ian Rotten in a hardcore battle royal at "Payback, Pain & Agony" in Plainfield, Indiana to become the first IWA Mid-South Death Match Champion. Tony and Pondo eliminated DieHard, Knuckles eliminated Pondo and Tony eliminated Rotten. Younger then eliminated Tony and Knuckles in succession to win.
2007 - Human Tornado defeats Dan Kobrick for the EWF American Title at "Damage Control 2" in Covina, California.
2007 - David Stahr defeats J.T. LaMotta for the NWA Texas Junior Heavyweight Title in Cypress, Texas, ending LaMotta's second reign. Also at that show, The Blacktinos (D.J. King and David Ramirez) win the NWA Texas Tag Team Title from The Crusaders (Pop'n and Loc).
2008 - Chris Masters defeats Keith Walker to win the WLW Heavyweight Title in Fordland, Missouri, ending Walker's second reign.
2008 - CZW held "9 F'n Years" at the New Alhambra Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. A portion of the film 'The Wrestler' was filmed prior to this event, including the match between Randy 'The Ram' Robinson and Necro Butcher.
- Chuck Taylor defeated BKNY, Ryan McBride, Ricochet and Pinkie Sanchez in a five-way match.
- Team AnDrew (Drew Gulak and Andy Sumner) defeated The Iron Saints (Sal and Vito Thomaselli).
- LJ Cruz defeated Javi-Air.
- 2 Girls 1 Cup (Greg Excellent and Beef Wellington (with Kylie Pierce)) defeated Alex Colon and Joe Gacy.
- CZW Junior Heavyweight Champion Sabian defeated Brandon Thomaselli to retain the title.
- DJ Hyde defeated WHACKS.
- The Naptown Dragons (Dustin Lee and Scotty Vortekz) defeated CZW World Tag Team Champions Jon Dahmer and Danny Demanto to win the title.
- Kevin Steen and Vordell Walker fought to a no-contest.
- LuFisto defeated Sexxxy Eddy.
- CZW World Heavyweight Champion Nick Gage fought Ruckus to a no-contest to retain the title.
- Drake Younger defeated CZW Iron Man and Ultraviolent Underground Champion Brain Damage in a Barbed Wire Boards and Panes of Glass match to win the Ultraviolent Underground title.
2008 - Jimmy Jacobs defeats Eric Priest in a Dog Collar match at "My Bloody Valentine" in Berwyn, Illinois for the All American Wrestling Heritage Title. This made Jacobs the first two-time champion.
2008 - Two NWA Empire titles change hands in North Tonawanda, New York. Johnny Puma wins the NWA Empire Heavyweight Title from Pepper Parks, and Stargazer defeats Gabriel Saint and The Super Assassin for the vacant NWA Lord of the Dance Title, a title only defended in three-way dances. The Lord of the Dance Title was vacated after Colin Olsen (Delaney) after he had signed with WWE.
2008 - The Blackouts (Pierre Shadows and Vane) defeat TNT (Tyson Dux and El Tornado) for the Blood, Sweat and Ears Tag Team Title at "A Year in the Making" in Milton, Ontario.
2008 - Ulf Hermann defeats Martin Stone in a double-title match at Athletik Club Wrestling's "Riptide II" in Weinheim, Germany. Hermann retained his ACW World Title and won Stone's Real Quality Wrestling Heavyweight Title.3
2008 - Rick Santel defeats Arrick Andrews for the NWA Top Rope Junior Heavyweight Title in Lebanon, Tennessee.